Friday 23 May 2008

The machines fight back

My plans for spending the day happily dyeing wool were slightly derailed, due to a vertical learning curve in the IT department. Obviously, if I'm going to be selling stuff, I will need to create labels for said stuff. Now, I'm no IT geek, but my 'normal' job does place me firmly on the fringes of the IT world, and I'm not scared - but I've been wrestling with Adobe Illustrator all day, and that's been quite an interesting experience. The thing with Illustrator is that I wasn't really sure what it does. It's on this PC, but I knew nothing much about it. Today I discovered that it's a great tool for creating all those artwork and design things which I need to create... I also discovered how very hard it is to work out how to use a piece of software if you are utterly unfamiliar with the job it is supposed to do. If you have a word processor, and you move over to another sort of word processor, you can at least have in your head an idea about what word processors in general do, and what you should expect this one in particular to be capable of.

Anyway, in a very commendable positive thinking way, I have chosen to look upon this titanic struggle as a learning challenge - and indeed, I have created a few things that don't look like I drew them with some crayons which are very blunt. Now if only I could get them to print on the correct bit of the page...

No comments: