Sunday 1 June 2008

Launched!

Open Farm Sunday has been and gone for another year. The rain held off, the visitors poured in, the hog roast was enjoyed by all and sundry, and our little corner of the yard was also appreciated by everyone who came by. The business Cotswold Purls is now officially launched - finally. It's only taken me 4 years of thinking about it, thinking better of it, then reconsidering!

Alfie and Ruby were also present, in a pen by the side of the stall. They had a great time, although Ruby bailed out at 2pm - she had had enough by then, and was quite tired. Even being stroked constantly by people can pale after a while! Alfie, being much older and much keener on being fussed over by all and sundry, toughed it out to the end of the event. When the gazebos and marquees were being set up in the morning, Alfie positioned himself at the gate of his field, and STARED and STARED at the action. This is the third farm open day he has done, and he obviously didn't want to miss out. He came out with a real spring in his step, knowing exactly what he had to do. I sometimes worry that Alfie will get too tired at these events, because he can get so involved with interacting with the visitors that he doesn't get a chance to lie down. He seemed absolutely in his element all day though, so I think he'd let me know if it was too much. Foz has had a great time being in the pen with the sheep and talking to everyone about them. I'm grateful that he wants to spend his spare time talking to people he doesn't know, when he spends a great deal of his working life doing the same thing! (but the subject at weekends is, of course, infinitely more interesting...)

Here are some pics of our stall:



I think the effect is actually spoiled somewhat by having the tractor parked behind our gazebo... maybe I should get a back-sheet, to block any unfortunate views! Heaven knows why, but taking a picture of the sheep completely slipped my mind. I'll see if anyone else has got any. The sheep were definitely the star attractions there today!

We hardly sold a thing, but then again we weren't expecting to - although I was always open in my mind to the possibilities that we might sell. I was so pleased, though, with how everything looked. Of course, doing a stall like that is quite a trial and error activity, and I have got some great ideas for next time.

What always amazes me when I do hand spinning demos and events is what interesting people you meet. I have talked to some really great folks today. A very pleasant lady was interested in getting some sheep to run on her horse paddocks. We had a long chat with her about the Cotswolds, and she seems very keen - it was so nice to talk to her. My lovely friend Karen, her gorgeous toddler Natasha (or Gnasher, as she has been known!), and Karen's parents, came over from Bristol. It was so great to see them too.

So it's now 10pm, and I'm shattered. Think I need a weekend off...

No comments: