Friday 25 April 2008

The naming of things is a difficult matter

Naming any living creature is tricky. Even naming inanimate objects isn't easy (we always name our cars... What? What's wrong with that??) We are, however, having a terrible time thinking up a name for the latest lamb. We know her as The Princess, but that won't do for a real name. Our criteria are: it must be a Real Name (not something like Lady or... well, or Princess), it must sound well with the flock prefix, which is Burleigh, in front of it, and you must be able to yell it across the field without feeling like a prize twit. So far, we have Lulu and Alex from last year, and this year's named lambs are Yan Lamb (you know the Cumbrian sheep-counting dialect thang, Yan Tan Tethera?), Tansy, and Ruby. This new one... we're having problems with her. We spent an amusing time discussing names over dinner, but are no further on. Ella? Dido? Nope.

Anyway. Look! Wool!!We have, at present, what I think in business might be termed a cashflow crisis (using this terminology makes me feel much better than if I think of it as being broke until pay day!) so, in the entrepreneurial spirit I don't have much of and am determined to cultivate, I have started pushing forwards with the business again. My website has been revitalised, and within 48 hours of this happening, I had a phone call asking me to give a talk... I read recently that if you take one step forward, the Universe takes another one towards you, and after this, I really believe it!

I'm creating a jumper from the brown/blue/turquoise wool which is lurking on the right of that picture, coyly hiding behind the purple, and I've got to say, I think it's lovely. Photos in the next episode.

No comments: